From Sb’s Desk: The “March Off Coal” doesn’t move us very far forward

COW may have quit coal, but we have replaced it with another dirty habit: natural gas. The switch was official as of March 1st, 2013. While the decision to switch had a lot of financial bearing, some will remember the 2011 student protest at 7am to demand action: getting rid of coal, the dirtiest energy of them all. The protest was respectful, organized, and well received. The students ran a successful campaign because they were heard by trustees, and the trustees acted quickly in response. Since then, the physical plant has been upgrading boilers, coolers and everything in between. As we have made this transition, I hear concerns from many environmentally-aware students about the new dangers presented by technological advances in hydraulic fracturing, and the lack of regulation that came with the natural gas boom.

Don’t get me wrong, coal is really, really bad. Not only does it emit unimaginable amounts CO2, but also a slew of air pollutants that we will simply stop emitting by making the switch. This across-the-board emissions reduction will reduce EPA emissions fees, maintenance costs, and health risks to coal plant employees (making this a worthy investment for the College in my book). The trouble is, the emissions reduction is limited to the point of combustion.
Natural gas does emit significantly less air pollutants compared to coal when burned, but that is not the only point of emissions for natural gas. From extraction (flowback releases its dissolved methane when it reaches the surface) to transportation (methane leaks from pipelines, 2% to 9%), these emissions add up. Now that we have more of the full picture, natural gas is comparable to coal in greenhouse effects.

http://www.nature.com/news/methane-leaks-erode-green-credentials-of-natural-gas-1.12123

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=switching-to-natural-gas-power

http://www.fletcherforum.org/2013/02/28/reddy/

As our college moves forward, and continues to burn natural gas, we must acknowledge that we have moved from lead and mercury emissions to constant methane emissions (25x the greenhouse effects of CO2); mountaintop removal to fracking; one quickly disappearing, increasingly dangerous fossil fuel to another. Don’t kid yourself and say it’s the lesser of two evils; it will save us money, and it is easier to switch to clean energy from a natural gas system than from a coal system. Now we are presented with a great opportunity, I can only hope that the money saved will be invested in a truly clean energy as soon as possible.

91 Responses to From Sb’s Desk: The “March Off Coal” doesn’t move us very far forward

1. You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be really one thing which I feel I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for
    me. I’m looking forward to your next submit, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

2. I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you,
    you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I came across this during my hunt for
    something regarding this.

3. Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a really good article… but what can I say… I hesitate
    a lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.

4. Yes! Finally something about 바카라 총판.

5. I’m very happy to discover this site. I need to to thank you
    for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also have you
    bookmarked to look at new things on your
    blog.

6. Takipci.shop olarak Instagram takipçi satın al hizmetini en uygun fiyat avantajı ile sosyal etkileşiminizi türk takipçiler ve yüksek kaliteli hesaplar ile arttırabilmeniz için ihtiyacınız olan aktif ve gerçek takipçileri sağlayan Türkiye’nin en kaliteli ve en ucuz siteyiz.

7. Nargile, nargile fiyatları, nargile takımı ve nargile malzemeleri hakkında bilgi alabilir ve nargile siparişi verebilirsiniz.

8. Can you imagine the importance of acting to get free Instagram likes trial on your profile? If you can’t, let us elaborate in the easiest way possible. First of all, you probably know that Instagram is a network that runs on complex algorithms and it is one of the most popular social networks in the world. They removed their chronological feed feature some years ago, and people were frustrated. Now, you see what Instagram tells you to see. If that feels good, let’s proceed.

9. Did you ever find yourself checking out an Instagram post and a minute later, delved deep into the comments?

We know the feeling.

10. Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, once having
    my breakfast coming over again to read more news.

11. ymovies says:

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve introduced to your
    post. They are very convincing and can definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for beginners.
    Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent
    time? Thanks for the post.

12. You coupd certainly see your skills within the work you write.

The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as yyou who aren’t
    afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

13. FACEBOOK TAKİPÇİ SATIN AL

https://takipci.shop/facebook-takipci-satin-al

Facebook Takipçi Satın Al
    Sosyal medya hesapları için en önemli unsurlardan biri takipçi sayılarıdır. Daha çok takipçi sayısına sahip olan kalabalık profiller, diğer kullanıcıların çok daha hızlı dikkatini çekmektedir. Facebook hesabı da bu sosyal medya mecraları arasında en üst sıralarda yer almaktadır.

Facebook hesabınız için gerçek takipçiler satın almak istiyorsanız eğer, ihtiyacınıza uygun takipçi paketi seçeneklerini tercih edebilirsiniz

14. We offering you the best opportunity for your
    social media account! If you want to be a famous
    person and attach attraction to other people on
    this platform in a safe way; You should check our website!
    Our website for your dream and social
    media needs!

15. FL says:

I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else
    encountering issues with your blog. It appears as if some of the written text within your content are
    running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?

This could be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Appreciate it

16. Instagram Oto Video Görüntüleme Satın Al

https://instagramdeposu.com/oto-video-goruntuleme-satin-al

We offering you the best opportunity for your
    Our website for your dream and social
    media needs!

17. Thanks for finally writing about >From Sbs Desk: The “March Off Coal” doesnt move
    us very far forward | Sustainability@Wooster <Liked it!

18. seo says:

SEO öğrenmek istiyor ama nereden başlayacağınızı bilmiyor musunuz? Kendi başınıza arama motoru optimizasyonuna devam etmek için bilmeniz gereken tüm SEO temelleri hakkında size rehberlik edelim! Hediye olarak, ücretsiz bir SEO sertifikası alabilirsiniz!

19. Rattling good info can be found on web site.

20. Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a bad conclusion outstanding post!

21. bosanma avukatı mı arıyorsunuz?

22. Tekne turlarını ogrenebilirsiniz.

23. Yazilim firmlarını ogrenin.

24. izmir lokma says:

Izmirim Lokma Olarak Kaliteden ve Lezzetten ödün vermeden üretim yapip hizmet vermek bizim olmazsa olmaz prensibimizdir Hizmetlerimiz Izmir Lokma,Saray Lokma,Irmik Helvasi ve asuredir.Uzun Yillardir süre gelen Gelenegi bizde firmamiz olarak layikiyla yapmak için elimizden gelenin fazlasini yapmaktayiz.

25. izmir lokma says:

Türkiye, doğusuyla batısıyla kuzeyiyle güneyiyle bir kültür beşiği gibidir. Ülkemizin 4 bir yanı farklı kültürlere ve toplumlara geçmişte ev sahipliği yapmış olmasından dolayı, her yerde farklı lezzetler ve yemek zevki olduğu görülüyor.

Ülkemizin incisi olarak görülen ve ülkemizin batısında yer alan İzmir şehri de oldukça geniş bir mutfak kültürüne sahiptir. İzmir şehrinde genel olarak zeytinyağlı ve sebze ağırlıklı beslenme yaygın olsa bile İzmir lokmatatlısı gibi eşsiz bir lezzet konusunda da diğer lokma tatlısının yapıldığı şehirler ile yarışacak kadar lezzetli ürünler ortaya çıkarıyor. Lokma tatlısı, ülkemizin her yöresinde yapılan ve oldukça sevilen bir lezzettir.

26. izmir lokma says:

İzmir lokma tatlısı döktürmek isteyen vatandaşlarımızın dikkat etmesi gereken birkaç nokta vardır. Lokma şehir İzmir’de artık yüzlerce firma Lokmacılık yapmaktadır. Bunlardan kimisi işin hakkını vererek yapmaktadır. Kimisi ise sadece para kazanma derdinde olup vatandaşı mağdur etmektedir. Bu yüzden firma seçiminde çok dikkat etmeniz gereklidir. Peki, firma seçiminde neye dikkat etmek gerekir. Firmanın hangi özellikleri iyi hangileri kötüdür.

27. Youtube Türk Gerçek İzlenme Satın Al

https://instagramdeposu.com/youtube/izlenme-satin-al/youtube-turk-gercek-izlenme-satin-al

Our website for your dream and social
    media needs!

28. Instagram Video Görüntülenme Satın Al

https://www.takipci.market/instagram-izlenme-goruntuleme-satin-al

Our website for your dream and social
    media needs!

29. Tester parfüm right away I am going away to do my breakfast, once having

30. senangpoker says:

Do you have any video of that? I’d care to find out more details.

31. It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I
    am reading this fantastic article to increase my experience.

32. ahliqq says:

Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and leaving
    comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

33. INSTAGRAM AYLIK BEĞENİ

https://www.turkishgram.com/instagram-aylik-sinirsiz-begeni/turk-bot

Our website for your dream and social
    media needs!

34. Yes, that’s possible. However, the world is not always sunny and shiny. If you fail to draw the people to make them like your comments, you’re going to get excited when you hear this. From now on, it’s possible to buy Instagram comment likes, and the show is just starting.

35. バイアグラ レビトラ
    バイアグラ 市販
    シアリス レビトラ

36. Đồng Phục LINH LONG có 3 phân xưởng may, in, thêu.

37. Awesome and really nice post. Thanks for the great share and I must say it’s written nicely http://facebooklikes.co/how-to-download-and-save-tumblr-videos/

38. Awesome and really nice post. Thanks for the great share and I must say it’s written nicely
    http://facebooklikes.co/tiktok-what-if-i-forgot-my-password-and-cant-log-in/