From Sb’s Desk: The “March Off Coal” doesn’t move us very far forward

COW may have quit coal, but we have replaced it with another dirty habit: natural gas. The switch was official as of March 1st, 2013. While the decision to switch had a lot of financial bearing, some will remember the 2011 student protest at 7am to demand action: getting rid of coal, the dirtiest energy of them all. The protest was respectful, organized, and well received. The students ran a successful campaign because they were heard by trustees, and the trustees acted quickly in response. Since then, the physical plant has been upgrading boilers, coolers and everything in between. As we have made this transition, I hear concerns from many environmentally-aware students about the new dangers presented by technological advances in hydraulic fracturing, and the lack of regulation that came with the natural gas boom.

Don’t get me wrong, coal is really, really bad. Not only does it emit unimaginable amounts CO2, but also a slew of air pollutants that we will simply stop emitting by making the switch. This across-the-board emissions reduction will reduce EPA emissions fees, maintenance costs, and health risks to coal plant employees (making this a worthy investment for the College in my book). The trouble is, the emissions reduction is limited to the point of combustion.
Natural gas does emit significantly less air pollutants compared to coal when burned, but that is not the only point of emissions for natural gas. From extraction (flowback releases its dissolved methane when it reaches the surface) to transportation (methane leaks from pipelines, 2% to 9%), these emissions add up. Now that we have more of the full picture, natural gas is comparable to coal in greenhouse effects.

http://www.nature.com/news/methane-leaks-erode-green-credentials-of-natural-gas-1.12123

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=switching-to-natural-gas-power

http://www.fletcherforum.org/2013/02/28/reddy/

As our college moves forward, and continues to burn natural gas, we must acknowledge that we have moved from lead and mercury emissions to constant methane emissions (25x the greenhouse effects of CO2); mountaintop removal to fracking; one quickly disappearing, increasingly dangerous fossil fuel to another. Don’t kid yourself and say it’s the lesser of two evils; it will save us money, and it is easier to switch to clean energy from a natural gas system than from a coal system. Now we are presented with a great opportunity, I can only hope that the money saved will be invested in a truly clean energy as soon as possible.

12 Responses to From Sb’s Desk: The “March Off Coal” doesn’t move us very far forward

1. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment
    is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thank you!

2. Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot about this, such
    as you wrote the e book in it or something.
    I think that you just could do with some % to pressure the message house
    a little bit, however instead of that, that is fantastic blog.
    A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

3. Wonderful article! We are linking to this great post on our site.
    Keep up the good writing.

4. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent, let alone the content!

5. 00M-669 Exam says:

Very good stuff, thanks for the share.

6. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in
    my social networks!

7. reputation says:

Just wanted to say thanks for your efforts here, great blog.

8. Las Vegas says:

Thanks for your post, much appreciated.

9. Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of
    the challenges. It was definitely informative. Your site is very
    helpful. Thanks for sharing!

10. The lawyer denver accident lawyer will find accident lawyers.
    The negligence of the dangerous phases one goes through in getting
    compensation for the jury would not be putting 100% effort into building in Manhattan is a prudent investment.
    Contemplating the need for accident injuryCar accident lawyer,
    you must make sure your lawyer has the experience of the relationship between client and lawyer fees are required for one through online.
    The insurance process can begin. Most of the negligent party will
    launch their own can ultimately be harmful to their own game?

11. fwdurl.net says:

To work with the docking or headset ports, the vent addresses only need to be
    folded open. Each part shows the features coresponding.

Nonetheless, Nexus S has presented a difficult fight to iPhone 4.

12. amateri says:

Someboidy essentially assist to make severely posts I might state.This is the very first time I frequented your
    webb page and thus far? I surprised with the
    analysis you made to creatte this actual publis amazing. Fantastic task!